Keep still Jesus Christ in your eye, in the perusal of the Scriptures, as the end, scope and substance thereof: what are the scriptures, but as it were the spiritual swaddling clothes of the holy child Jesus?
1. Christ is the truth and substance of of all types and shadows.
2. Christ is the substance and matter of the Covenant of Grace, and all administrations thereof; under the Old Testament Christ is veiled, under the New Covenant revealed.
3. Christ is the centere and meeting place of all the promises; for in him the promises of God are and yea and Amen.
4. Chris is the thing signified, sealed, and exhibited in the Sacraments of the Old and New Testament.
5. Scripture genealogies use to lead us on the true line of Christ.
6. Scripture chronologies are to discover to us the times and seasons of Christ.
7. Scripture-laws are our schoolmasters to bring us to Christ, the moral by correcting, the ceremonial by directing.
8. Scripture-gospel is whereby we are drawn into sweet union and communion with him; yea it is the very power of God unto salvation unto all them that believe in Christ Jesus; and therefore think of Christ as the very substance, marrow, soul, and scope of the whole Scripture.