Over 150 years ago the famous words of Horace Greeley were penned, “Go west young man, and grow up with the country.” While he wrote of the expansion of the United States towards the west, later this week I’ll be headed west for a different reason. There will be three of us from Oak Grove that are headed to Montana for a week long mission trip. I first heard about the mission opportunity about a year ago and immediately thought I would like to go. I had to pray and do some serious self-reflection to examine my intentions. Having read A River Runs Through It the idea of going to Montana has always been a no brainer for me. However, this isn’t a fishing trip, it’s a mission trip.
I first mentioned the trip to the church months ago and after much prayer, discussion, and the Lord providing through an individual all the money we need to cover all three of our flights and baggage with a few dollars to spare we decided to go and have assembled a team of three. We’ll be working with several missions interns, local churches, and another mission team. I thought I would share a little bit about the trip so that we could let folks know what we’ll be doing and how they can pray for us.
We’ll be spending Saturday to Saturday on the trip with both of those Saturdays devoted to traveling. Once we arrive in Montana we’ll be spending the week on the Flathead Reservation. While there we’ll be working with several local churches to serve in a couple of different ways. We will be staying in Pablo and will worship on Sunday with the Pablo Baptist Church. The first couple of days we’ll be serving however we are needed and praying during the Arlee Celebration. The rest of the week we will be helping a church plant with a kids day camp in the town of St. Ignatius (think VBS) where I’ve been told there may be as many as 200 kids.
How you can pray for us:
- Pray that our hearts will be open to serve and sensitive to the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray that we will be given opportunities to share the gospel openly during the Arlee Celebration.
- Pray for the children and families we will meet during the kids camp in St. Ignatius.
- Pray that the Lord would already be at work in the lives and hearts of the people we will come in contact with to be receptive to the gospel.
- Pray for the churches we will be serving alongside of that we can help in their mission.
- Pray for the interns spending the summer on mission in Montana.
- Pray for the people that we will encounter in the airports and on the planes.
- Pray for our families while we are gone away from them.
- Pray for safe and speedy travel during this holiday weekend and upon return.
- Pray for Oak Grove Baptist Church in our absence.
- Pray for the continued work throughout the entire summer in Montana.
We truly need and appreciate your prayers while we are on this trip. I’ll try to post updates via blog/social media throughout the week.